2013 to Current Tax Software:
Please see link: How to Restore your Data to your new pc
Instruction Below are for Tax Software 2012 and older:
Note: the screen shots depicted represent the Laser Link software but the same steps should be followed for TFP or TaxRight.
The following steps require you to have access to the back up zip file from the old PC found in the data Backups folder. If you're wondering how you back up your data read this article first- How do I back up my data?
Moving Data From One PC to another requires you to have access to the data file from the old computer.
Step 1 – Install the previous year’s version of the software
- From the "old" or "original PC - Locate the back up file - if you used the Back up utility, it will be located in the following directory, depending on the software you purchased: C:\Tax\LaserLink for 20xx\Data Backups\ or
C:\Tax\TFP for 20xx\Data Backups\ or
C:\Tax\TaxRight for 20xx\Data Backups\
- Transfer the zip file to the new pc - (you can either transfer it to a flash drive or burn it to a CD)
- Install the previous year's software, deselect the check boxes on the last installation screen
- Click the Finish button
Step 2 - Update the previous year’s software – the software program must be closed to update the software
- On your PC navigate to Programs/All programs/ TFP/TaxRight/or LaserLink using the Start menu
- Select Check for LaserLink (or TFP or TaxRight) Updates.
- Click the Next button on each screen to receive the web updates
Step 3 – Extract the back up files and place them in the data folder
- Locate the zip file that you transferred onto the new PC using Step 1 instructions above.
- Right click on Zip Folder and select the Extract All option
- The Extraction Wizard is opened. Click the Next button.
- On the next screen you will select a destination for the files. Click the Browse button.
- Click My Computer, Local Disk (C), Tax Folder, Choose LaserLink or
TFP or TaxRight (depending on what software title you are restoring)
- Finally, click the DATA folder and click OK button.
- The destination folder should look something like this; click the Next button on this screen
- When you are asked “Do you want to copy and replace the files?” click Yes to all and the extracting progress bar will be visible.
- Click the Finish button to complete the process
Step 4 – Open the previous year’s software to complete the installation
- Double click the previous year’s software icon on your desktop
- Because the installation wasn’t complete the install wizard will open
- Click the Next button on each screen (maintain all of the default settings)
- Click the Finish button to complete the installation process
Now you’re ready to install next year’s software.