If you already mailed or efiled your form W-2 and now need to make a correction, you will need to file a W-2C and W-3C and mail to the SSA. If you need further assistance on how to correct, please contact your tax provider or visit the SSA website www.ssa.gov
How to efile a correction Efile:
When an employer files their W-2 by paper and now needs to file a correction the employer can file the W-2C by paper or electronically.
If you efile log into your efile account to File a Correction
An employer may submit an electronic W-2C to correct a paper W-2. In addition, please refer to the following webpage (“Using The Services” tab/FORMS W-2C/W-3C ONLINE/RESTRICTIONS): https://www.ssa.gov/employer/bsohbnew.htm, of which, states:
The following restrictions apply to all W-2c reports, including those filed on paper:
- Previous W-2s in which both the Name and SSN fields were blank may not be corrected.
- Agent Indicator Codes may not be corrected.
- You must verify your W-2 report has moved to Complete status before attempting to file a correction. If your W-2 report has not moved to Complete status, call Social Security Employer Reporting Assistance number 1-800-772-6270.
- Self-employed individuals may not file correction reports.
- Do not use W-2c Online if you are attempting to correct address information. Please complete IRS Form 8822.